Translate

Monday, February 25, 2013

2013 Oscars: Hits, Misses and Memorable Moments


I, along with millions of others (40.3 million to be exact), tuned in to see the annual parade of celebrities at the Academy Awards. While I felt first-time host Seth Macfarlane's beginning monologue was entertaining and fairly original (He still has me humming "I Saw Your Boobs" almost 24 hours after the fact) I strongly feel as though he held back his true shocking one-liners and quirks for the viewing audience when in retrospect, that's the reason why we love the "Family Guy" creator in the first place. The Academy should have let him have free reign on this one if they truly wanted a successful show in terms of roping in younger viewers which they're always striving to do.

Seth Macfarlane/ Photo courtesy of: Daily News

The show, however, did fall flat during the usually overlooked categories such as sound editing and the tribute to "James Bond" which in my opinion, should have been given the playoff music soon after it started. 

Despite the many great musical performances of the night the most memorable had to be Jennifer Lawrence's on stage tumble when she was announced best actress in a leading role. (Side note: Did anyone else notice that both Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper practically leaped out of their seats to assist Jennifer? I fall walking up the stairs on a daily basis and no one ever helps me!)
 

Daniel Day Lewis, Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway and Cristoph Waltz 
2013 Academy Awards

In spite of being thrilled to see Katniss accept her Oscar, her acceptance speech was underwhelming compared to producer and director Ben Affleck's speech for "Argo" after the film won for best picture. Future winners take note, speeches should be moving and rememberable. The audience at home doesn't want to hear you rattle off a bunch of names of people they have never heard of. 

Overall, I believe this years Oscar ceremony was a success and I'm already sitting on the edge of my seat to see what cinematic wonders await us in the near year.

What was your favorite part of the Oscars?

No comments:

Post a Comment